Wednesday, March 26, 2008

We can reach our culture...

I haven't written on this at all this entire trip, so it is time. This missions trip has been quite rewarding for me. I don't even know where to start. We had several different speakers come and share new perspectives, insights, and spiritual truths to us.

We had Paul Gibbs come and speak yesterday. What he said really stood out to me. His main point was that the church's biggest crisis today is that we fail to go deep enough in the Scripture and faith, and because of that, we are not capable to reach our culture.

In our Christian society, I think we try to come up with different strategies in our humanness of how we can reach our culture. We try to come up with different activities that would draw a certain crowd in, which is not inherently wrong in and of itself... but the focus is almost a bate and switch technique. But what Paul says that we can't reach others and relate to culture until we know God on a deeper level. He encouraged us to use the resources we have. Dive into His word. Use commentaries. Study the original languages.

In the book of Acts the Eunuch was reading the book of Isaiah which was unheard of having your own copy of the text. That would be like reading a $50,000 book. That made me think...the book of Isaiah is worth that much at that time, it is valuable. Today, it is so easy to just keep our Bibles on our book shelves. They didn't cost much. You can buy them everywhere.

We need to see the Bible for it's actual value, it is priceless, our firm foundations, the words of life, truth and peace. Why would we not be devouring God's word? Personally, I have been wrapped up in busyness and I have been neglecting to spend time in God's word. I should take time out of my day and spend it with God. There is so much I do not know. That is the amazing thing about the Bible and God, the more you learn, know, and experience, the more you realize how much you still need to know. Our walk with God is a journey, I am glad we can dedicate a week to seeking God, and reenergizing our walk with Him.
In Him,
Amberlee

No comments: